Sunday, October 22, 2017

13 years ago...

 13 years ago (and some change) I had a very awkward conversation with a man from my past. I was in a hotel in Scottsdale Arizona, celebrating Easter with my family (my brother in law and sister were in the area for spring training) and a call came in from a prospective summer job. I had applied to work at a camp, Hume Lake Christian Camp, a place that had been a summer home for me since the 5th grade. I had been a summer camper in every possible scenario they offered at the time, and Hume has been and will always be one of the most sacred places in my life... a place I go to when I feel lost,  a place that eases my soul, a place that brings me joy... real joy.

I had applied to work there for the summer, the only summer activity that I had yet to do, however my motives were less than pure. I was not applying to work at camp because of some deep seeded passion to serve God through investing in kids... I was running! My senior year in college had not gone as planned, and I was selfishly looking for a pause button before having to face reality. I was confident that full time ministry was in my future, but the 2nd half of my senior year had thrown me for a loop. I had made some bad decisions, had my heart broken, and was barely passing my last classes in school (thankfully my friend was dating my Business teacher's daughter!!!) I needed a respite... so I called Hume, WEEKS past the deadline to apply. My old counselor and mentor Cliff was in charge of hiring for the summer and his first question was not promising. "Are you still arrogant and full of yourself?" he asked me as we started the interview. This was not the way it was supposed to start, but I fumbled and bumbled through the interview and convinced him mainly that I needed him and Hume more than they needed me, and I would put my all into the job. I got the job and as soon as the year was over I would be headed to Hume for orientation, I couldn't have been happier!!

When you drive to Hume there are two different routes you can take... I have always driven 10-mile road.  I do this because when you cross the bridge over 10 mile creek and turn around one of the final bends in the road, you see the lake through the trees and the sight always tells my soul to be at peace. It has always signaled that I am free to leave the world behind and commune with my Savior. The beauty screams of my Creator and I can hardly do justice in a description... make the drive sometime, it is worth it.

As I made the turn I knew I was home... and I felt the peace that only God can provide as I cruised into camp in front of the Pondy Lodge. I parked the car and walked into the lodge and met my roommate for the summer. A young man (older than me but whatever) who invested and poured into me that summer (and in the years since) and has impacted me in a way that I can never thank him for. I am the WOrST at staying in touch, so we don't talk as much as we should, but I am forever thankful for the friend he will always be. Little did I know that after introducing myself to him... I would meet 13 more people that would forever hold an incredibly sacred piece of my heart. I should name and thank each of you individually, but I could never find the words to do it properly. You know who you are, and I love you all!! From day one these people were a breathe of fresh air and a much needed salve for my soul. We spent the next few days getting to know each other, building trust and learning how to function as a team... we were inseparable and the tightness of this group was difficult to break. This group was so important to me that they almost cost me the greatest blessings God has ever seen fit to put in my life.

We were eating dinner one night and one of the guys was telling a story... it was a little chilly so I was wearing my Wheaton Football sweatshirt and this girl came up behind me to say hi. She asked about my sweatshirt and said something about living in the town near Wheaton... I wasn't really paying attention because I was trying to get back to the story being told at my table. I mean really... Who interrupts a story teller anyways!! =)  Well, this girl went about her business, completely unimpressed by the jerk who had just blown her off. I would go on to spend the next 3 months of the summer pursuing this girl... her name was Kat, and she was/is perfect!

You see, I had intended to hide from real life for 3 months then drive down to San Diego after camp and start my life in ministry. I had intended to pour myself into kids for the summer, not thinking of anything but the present. I planned on using this time on the hill to shake off the bad year I had just had, I had plans to put life on pause for a few months and then get back to reality when I came down the hill... What I had intended to be  break from life, God used as the Start of my life. 13 years ago God used life's ups and downs to put me in a place to meet the love of my life. The years have been crazy... apartment living as newlyweds... renovated office space living as a youth pastor... rental homes that couldn't contain our dog... a loooooong drive across the country to Memphis to start a new life (twice)... new jobs... having kids... changing jobs again... a new city... new roles... the same almighty God at the center of us! Thank you Kat for being such an amazing wife, awesome mother, stubborn board game player, and amazing life partner to walk this road with. God placed a lot of amazing people in my life during the Summer of '04... but he blessed me more than words can describe for allowing my path to cross yours. I love you babe... Happy 12th anniversary!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment