One of the longest lasting and funniest inside jokes of our family comes at the expense of my dad...
Our family of four was driving north from El Cajon to Temecula to spend the day with my Mom's side of the family. My older sister was 15 or 16 years old and something had happened in the past week where she didn't listen to the advice of someone wiser than herself. I assume it was my dad, but that part of the story has been lost over the years. We were now trapped in the car, on an hour long road trip, my sister and I in the back seat, Mom was up front and Dad was driving. Mom and I were silently listening to my Dad and sister go back and forth about the previously mentioned scenario. My sister seemed to be feeling her oats a little bit as an "almost adult" and was not cowing to the "advice" of my Dad. This was a strange turn of events (usually dad and sis were on the same team) and was starting to turn this car ride in an awkward direction. That is when my dad decided to drive his point home with an analogy...
"Imagine your dad was the inventor of the computer and spent his whole life developing and perfecting his invention. You watch him work all throughout your childhood and see all of the success he is now seeing from the experience he has gained. You go to school to study computer technology and start your own career in the field. Your father, the expert, comes to you and gives you advice on what to do. Don't you think it would be a good idea to listen to someone who has been there before and walked the same path?" (not a direct quote of the story... just a VERY short synopsis)
My dad finished the story, and the car went silent. My sister stubbornly crossed her arms and stared out the window, my mom and I continued in our silence (yes, hard to believe for either of us I know) and my Dad sat triumphantly in the drivers' seat occasionally checking the rearview mirror with a less than humble look on his face. The silence continued...and continued... and continued. Five minutes turned into ten, and my Mom started shifting nervously in her seat trying to find a way to recover the "quality" time of the road trip. Finally she decided to break the ice... "So Bob, how was your week?" Without skipping a beat and with perfect (in my memory at least) the young and sarcastic little brother in me responded "I don't know mom, I am still trying to figure out dad's weird story about computers!" Laughter erupted from the whole car and the ice was broken... Little brother saved the day!!
I have no idea if that is an accurate representation of the actual events that transpired, but I do know that at least once during any family get together since that time, someone will break out in "advice mode" and will be immediately met with "If your dad made computers for a living..." and laughter is had by all.
This story popped into my head today when I saw my mom start posting pictures from our childhood in celebration of my dad's retirement. My sister and I sitting side by side on a Midway Plumbing sign and the sight of the old Bronco (most definitely the car we were in when the story happened) brought back floods of memories good feelings. The odd part of this family joke is that it is true in so many ways. The irony is that my Dad is actually the inventor from the story that had already successfully walked the path and is in possession of the blue prints of how to do things the right way.
By no means is my father perfect, and we have had plenty of disagreements, but I am constantly reminded of the amazing man he is. Our pastor taught a sermon on Fathers day one year and challenged the fathers in the room to live life in such a way that your children want to emulate you. I can say with the utmost sincerity that my Dad has succeeded on that score. He is the husband I hope to be my wife, the father I hope to be for my kids, the uncle I want to be to my nieces, the leader of men, a boss of distinction and integrity, an employee above reproach, and a grandfather of all grandfathers.
By his actions he has taught me more than he will ever know, and most importantly because his words and deeds have always been consistent. Watching him as a son, a player, an employee, and now as a friend has been a privilege and without a doubt the single most influential education I could ever have asked for. I thank God every day that he blessed me with my dad and for giving me such an example of how to live as a Godly man of integrity. I pray often that I can be half the man you are. I love you Pop and I hate that we can't be there with you today when you get home, but there is a fishing hole with your name on it when you get our here!!
Awesome tribute Bob! You did your Dad proud!!
ReplyDelete