Sunday, May 31, 2020

Look how far we have NOT come...


I signed on today to express some thoughts and emotions... and honestly I thought I was going to be more confused in my head than I actually am. I come from a family with deep connections to law enforcement, and those men and women that I know are the absolute cream of the crop of humanity. I also have deep connections to my friends, coworkers, and students (current and past) who come from all sorts of diverse backgrounds. I woke up this morning with the expectation that I would feel torn between the people that I love... but I don't. I am just angry, and sad. My feelings and relationship with one group have absolutely no impact and/or diminishment upon my feelings for the other. INJUSTICE IS INJUSTICE!!!! My biggest sadness comes from the distraction of what is really going on.

DO NOT let your emotions distract you from the real conversations that MUST happen. The events of last night, and your feelings about them, do not change the fact that a man was murdered. The events of last night do not change the fact that there is a divide in this country that needs to heal. The events of last night do not change the fact that we are ALL created in the image of God and that we paint the ultimate picture of His diversity and beauty. The events of last night do not change the fact that we ALL have worth, dignity, and a right to be heard, feel safe, and pursue happiness. Be angry at the destruction and theft of THINGS that can be replaced and/or insured... but be MORE upset with the stolen life that has been taken from this earth forever!!

I have said this before and I will never stop saying it to my friends, students, family, everyone... I have no idea what it feels like to be anything but a middle class, white male and to pretend that I can put myself in the shoes of others is arrogant and wrong. The things I would do and the behaviors I naturally embrace are a product of all the environments and pressures I have felt. Has my life always been easy... yes and no. I have had to overcome things, and I have had to make good decisions... but I have always done so from a place of ease. My life is and has always been full of support and opportunity so to pontificate to others that they should all act, think, and be like me is crazy. The only way for me to understand someone with a different background is to listen, to talk, and to strive to understand... leaving my preconceived ideas behind and having an open mind.  I do not agree with the actions of a few people, but the fact that the emotions are so charged tells me that something is wrong... and I pray that I am always on the side of finding a solution, and not the side that allows me to justify my misconceptions and ignore that there IS a problem.

I hear you, I see you, I love you... and I am praying for this world we live in!

As I logged in to write this I realized that 4 year ago I wrote here about my anger, frustration and confusion about the world we live in on the same topic!! People... we need to change!!

No comments:

Post a Comment