Sunday, February 16, 2014

So......... I figured I should probably write a new post. Once you get close to 3 years of inactivity people start to wonder if you are alive. Of course the people who actually read this (Mom, Grandma, Carrie and Linda Murphy!!) know I am alive and well, but I digress. Anyways, the last post I put on here was from a trip to Mexico that I took with Collierville Bible Church. In the 3 weeks leading up to that trip our life was in a weird spot. I had quit my job at Dick's Sporting Goods and taken a job at a shooting range in Memphis. The range was an awesome place to work, and the owners were amazing Christians who used their work ethic and integrity to spread the gospel in all they do. (check them out at www.rangeusa.com) After about 4 months of working at the range and coaching part time I took another part time job as the Youth Director at our church. 2 weeks after I took the Youth Director job I gave my notice at the range and took a job teaching Econ/Gov and coaching football at Evangelical Christian School. This was significant for 2 reasons...

1. I had to quit coaching with my friend Mike David, who had been my coaching mentor for 4 years and had so impacted my life that I picked up my life and followed him to Memphis. I will forever be thankful to Mike for taking a shot on me when coaching at Bishop's and then bringing me with him to the south.

2. While leaving Mike's staff I was about to have the chance to coach an teammate of mine from Wheaton. The Wheaton Football brotherhood is something that I can never adequately explain to anyone. Even my wife, who has heard EVERY story at least 3 times, still doesn't truly understand the bond that I share with the men that spilled blood, sweat and tears at McCully Field. It wouldn't be until the end of that first season that I would realize that the staff I had just joined was creating a culture that was, for all intents and purposes, a high school version of Wheaton Football.

So, back to the weeks before the Mexico trip. All this job movement had come to a head right as I left for mexico and when we got back it was time to start the new direction. Obviously we had just started a CRAZY summer. I was scrambling to put together a curriculum for classes, meeting with every teacher I knew trying to figure out what I would do for my first classroom experience, and watching my wife going bald from ripping her hair out (she tends to worry and stress when the plans change!!). This is all a very poor attempt to explain the whirlwind that we call the last 3 years of life. Since the "crazy" summer, we have lived a pretty uneventful life... you know, started coaching a new sport (track), Kat switched jobs/careers 3 times (advisor, instructor, teacher/professor), oh and we had a baby. You know, nothing to excuse my lack of writing but I hope you will forgive me!

Now that Emmett is running and talking and pulling the dogs' tails, I figured I life was about to settle down and I would have ample time to start blogging again! Actually, I have been writing my self notes for awhile now as I see Emmett grow, or as I hear a great sermon, or as Kat and I continue to fall in love with each other. All of these notes have been bouncing around in my head and I need to get them out. When I started this blog I was looking for a way to air my thoughts and hopefully, through my rantings, inspire some conversations and thinking in others. I know that this was a very quick summary of the last few years, but I felt it would be weird to suddenly drop a new thought or rant on the blog without giving a glimpse at the changes that have happened in life. The title of this site is "Life in Process", and if anything the continual change and disruption over the last few years has added all sorts of steps to the "process"!! Most of the things I will be writing have occurred over the 3 years of silence. Anyways, thank you for being patient with me as I wrestle with the thoughts of life.


1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! and I love that you are still falling in love with your wife....after 38 years....we are too...in different ways, all the time! xxoo

    ReplyDelete